Saturday, April 9, 2022

Dialogue Guide for the Seminar

 Dialogue: Seminar on the Assault on Our Democracy 

I search for basic agreements.

I search for strengths in your position.

I reflect on my position.

I consider the possibility of finding a better solution than mine or yours.

I assume that many people have a piece of the answer.

I want to find common ground.

I submit my best thinking hoping your reflection will improve it.

I remain open to talk about the subject later on.

Anti-dialogue:

I search for glaring differences.

I search for weaknesses in your position.

I attack your position.

I denigrate you and your position. 

I defend my solution and exclude yours.

I am invested wholeheartedly in my beliefs.

I assume there is one right answer, and that I have it.

I want to win.

I submit my best thinking and defend it to show it is right.

I expect to settle this here and now.

I seek to silence those who disagree with my position. 

Adapted from, Choosing Democracy: a practical guide to multicultural education.  4th. edition. Duane Campbell.  2010.  Allyn and Bacon. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment